Sunday, September 21, 2014

Planning for RtI Groups in the Primary Grades



I hope your school year is off to a super start! I've been thinking over how to format my plans for First Grade RtI groups. I am lucky to have a Leveled Literacy Intervention Kit (from Fountas and Pinnell), so I have plenty of great books to work with. 

The Leveled Literacy program provides a really solid lesson structure. Even when I'm not using these materials, I like to keep the lesson structure in mind. 

Here's a quick summary.  Lessons are divided into Odd and Even days. 

During each Odd Lesson:
*Students reread text from previous lessons while the teacher supports fluency, comprehension and accuracy. (5 minutes)
*The teacher states a phonics principle and leads the group in an activity that supports students' understanding of the principle. (5 minutes)
*A new book is introduced. This book is "at the cutting edge" of the child's instructional level. Teacher problem solves any parts that would likely be tricky for students - and then supports students as they independently whisper read the text. The group discusses the text. (10 - 15 minutes)
*If time allows, the teacher reinforces a needed phonics or word work skill. (5 minutes)

During each Even Lesson:
*Students reread text from previous lessons. As they read, the teacher takes a running record of one of the students' reading.  (5 minutes)
*The teacher states a phonics principle and leads the group in an activity that supports students' understanding of the principle. (5 minutes)
*The group writes about the text from the prior lesson. Depending on the goal for the day, this can include dictated writing, interactive writing and/or independent writing. (10 minutes)
*A new book is introduced. This text will generally be one level below the text from the Odd  Lesson.  Students should experience success fluently reading this new text. (5 - 10 minutes)
*If time allows, a phonics skill is reinforced. (5 minutes)

I just created a lesson plan format for the two day sequence of lessons.  I included a space for 3 students' names and left room to jot notes about each students' strengths and needs.  If you would like to download this form as a PDF, click here

 

I'm thinking this form will make it easier for me to mentally connect the two lessons, which are based on the text from the odd lesson.  Even if I didn't have the LLI kit, I thought this format might provide "food for thought" so I decided to post it here.  (If you have any trouble downloading this, feel free to email me at Annegardner4@gmail.com and I'll be happy to send you a copy.)

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.  :) Anne